This Policy describes how information obtained by us from California consumers at our website located at https://www.wetzelsfranchising.com is collected, used and disclosed. This Policy also explains how you can request of us to know about your Personal Information and delete your Personal Information. Please note that this Policy applies to information collected by Wetzel’s Pretzels and its affiliates, subsidiaries, and independently owned and operated franchised locations.
California’s Shine the Light Law
Subject to certain limits under California Civil Code section 1798.83, California residents may ask Wetzel’s Pretzels to provide them with (i) a list of certain categories of personal data that we have disclosed to third parties for their direct marketing purposes during the immediately preceding calendar year, and (ii) the identity of those third parties. California residents may make one request per calendar year.
To make this request, you may contact Wetzel’s Pretzels at the mail or email address listed in the “Contact Us” section below. In your request, please state that you are a California resident and provide a current California address for our response. Please allow up to thirty (30) days for a response. Wetzel’s Pretzels reserves its right not to respond to such requests submitted to addresses other than those specified in the “Contact Us” section below.
California’s Consumer Privacy Act
1. California Residents’ Rights under the Consumer Privacy Act
If you are a California resident, you have certain rights regarding information that is treated as Personal Information under the California Consumer Privacy Act of 2018, California Civil Code sections 1798.100 et seq. (“CCPA”).
The right to know what categories of Personal Information are being collected, sold, or disclosed and the categories of sources of that Personal Information.
You have the right to know what categories of Personal Information we collect or disclose about you, as well as the categories of third parties who received your Personal Information and the categories of sources of that Personal Information. These categories are described below in the “Categories of California Consumers’ Personal Information Collected or Disclosed” section below. We are also required to provide to you, before or at the point of collection, a general notice about the categories of Personal Information collected by us and how we intend to use the collected Personal Information.
The right to access collected Personal Information
You have the right to request that we provide a copy of your Personal Information that we collected or disclosed in the preceding twelve (12) months. Only you, or someone you legally authorize to act on your behalf, may make a request related to your Personal Information. You may submit a maximum of two requests in a 12-month period.
You must provide sufficient information to enable us to reasonably verify your identity or that of your authorized agent. We will only use the Personal Information provided in your request to verify your identity or that of your authorized agent. Please note that we cannot provide any Personal Information in response to a request if we cannot verify your or your authorized agent’s identity or your authorized agent’s authority to make the request on your behalf and/or if we cannot confirm that the collected Personal Information relates to you.
After receiving and verifying your request, we will provide the following information (depending on your request):
- The categories of Personal Information collected about you in the preceding twelve (12) months.
- The sources of that Personal Information by category.
- The business or commercial purpose(s) for collecting that Personal Information.
- The categories of third parties with whom we shared that Personal Information.
- The specific pieces of Personal Information collected about you.
If we have disclosed your Personal Information for a business purpose, we will provide to you the categories of Personal Information disclosed for a business purpose in the previous twelve (12) months and the categories of third parties to whom the Personal Information was disclosed.
See the “Contact Us” section below for information on how you can exercise your right to access collected Personal Information. For more information, see also the “Response Timing and Format” section below.
The right to request deletion of Personal Information
With certain exceptions, you have the right to request that we and our service providers delete Personal Information we or our service provider collected or maintained. Once we receive and verify your request, we will delete and instruct any applicable service providers to delete your Personal Information from our records, unless an exception applies as described here below.
We, our affiliates, and our service providers may deny a verified deletion request if we must maintain your Personal Information to:
- Complete the transaction or provide a good or service requested by you for which we collected the Personal Information, or otherwise perform a contract between us.
- Detect security incidents, protect against malicious, deceptive, fraudulent, or illegal activity, or prosecute those responsible for that activity.
- Debug to identify and repair errors that impair existing intended functionality of our systems.
- Exercise a legal right provided for by law, including exercising or ensuring free speech rights.
- Comply with the California Electronic Communications Privacy Act (California Penal Code sections 1546 to 1546.4).
- Engage in public or peer-reviewed scientific, historical, or statistical research in the public interest if:
- the research adheres to all other applicable ethics and privacy laws;
- deleting the Personal Information is likely to make the research impossible or seriously impair it; and
- you provided informed consent during the initial data collection.
- Enable our internal use in a manner that you would reasonably expect based on your relationship with us.
- Comply with our legal obligations.
- Otherwise use your Personal Information internally in a lawful manner that is compatible with the context in which you provided the information.
See the “Contact Us” section below for information on how you can exercise your right to delete collected Personal Information.
The right to be free from discrimination
You have the right to equal service, and we will not discriminate against you if you exercise your rights under the CCPA.
2. Categories of California Consumers’ Personal Information Collected or Disclosed
We collect a variety of categories of Personal Information about California consumers, their household, and/or their devices, from both online and offline sources. We will not collect additional categories of Personal Information or use the Personal Information we collect for materially different, unrelated, or incompatible purposes without providing advance notice.
In particular, we may collect the following types of Personal Information about California consumers:
- Identifiers, such as names, email addresses, or other similar identifiers.
- Internet activity information.
- Professional or employment-related information.
- Educational information.
- Characteristics of protected classifications under California or federal law.
We may collect or share the Personal Information described above for one or more of the following business or commercial purposes:
- To respond to your inquiries and for other customer service purposes.
- To tailor the content and information that we may send or display to you, to offer location customization and personalized help and instructions, and to otherwise personalize your experiences while using the Site.
- To administer sweepstakes, contests, and other promotions we may conduct from time to time through the Site.
- For marketing and promotional purposes. For example, we may use your Personal Information, such as your email address, to send you news and newsletters, special offers, and promotions, or to otherwise contact you about information we think may interest you. We also may use the information that we learn about you to assist us in advertising on third-party websites.
- To better understand how users access and use our Site, both on an aggregated and individualized basis, in order to improve our Site and respond to user desires and preferences, and for other research and analytical purposes.
- If we are acquired by or merged with another company, if substantially all of our assets are transferred to another company, or as part of a bankruptcy proceeding, we may transfer the information we have collected from you to the other company.
- We also may disclose the information we collect from you where we believe it is necessary to investigate, prevent, or take action regarding illegal activities, suspected fraud, situations involving potential threats to the safety of any person, violations of our Terms and Conditions of Use or this Policy, or as evidence in litigation in which Wetzel’s Pretzels is involved.
- We also may disclose the information we collect from you in order to comply with the law, a judicial proceeding, court order, or other legal process, such as in response to a court order or a subpoena.
Please note that we may combine information that we collect from you and about you (including automatically-collected information) with information we obtain about you from our affiliates, vendors, and/or other non-affiliated third parties and use such combined information in accordance with this Policy.
We may aggregate and/or de-identify information we collect. We may use de-identified and/or aggregated data for any purpose, including without limitation for research and marketing purposes, and may also share such data with any third parties or affiliates.
We may share the Personal Information listed above with the following categories of third parties:
- Affiliates. We may disclose the information we collect from you to other Wetzel’s Pretzels franchisees, affiliates, or subsidiaries; however, if we do so, their use and disclosure of your Personal Information will be subject to this Policy.
- Vendors. We may disclose the information we collect from you to third-party vendors, service providers, contractors, or agents who perform functions on our behalf. For example, we may disclose your email to a third-party vendor or service provider for the purpose of sending you updates about a specific Wetzel’s Pretzels location.
3. Contact Us
California consumers who have questions or concerns about our privacy policies and practices may contact a trained customer service representative through one of the following methods:
- Via our website through our online contact forms: available through General Inquiries
- Telephone: 626-432-6900
- Mail: Attn: Privacy
35 Hugus Alley, Suite 300
Pasadena, CA 91103
When contacting our customer service, please include in the communication or have available the information listed under the “Verification Process” section below. If using an authorized agent, please include in the communication or have available proof of authorization.
4. Verification Process
Once we receive a request to know or to delete, we must verify your identity before we can respond.
You may be required to provide the following information for verification purposes:
- Your first and last name.
- Home city, state, and zip code.
- Your email address.
- Your telephone number.
- Any other data point that is reliable for the purpose of verifying identity.
If you submit either a request to know specific pieces of Personal Information collected, or a request to delete sensitive, irreplaceable, or otherwise valuable Personal Information, you (or your authorized agent, if applicable) will be required to provide a signed declaration affirming your identity (or your authorized agent’s identity, if applicable). We will provide you with a form including such a declaration.
5. Authorized Agents
An authorized agent is either a natural person or a business entity registered with the California Secretary of State that a consumer has authorized to act on his or her behalf.
You may use an authorized agent to submit a request to know or to delete. Your agent will need to provide: either (1) a power of attorney; or (2) your written permission to allow the authorized agent to submit the request on your behalf and verification of your identity.
6. Response Timing and Format
Acknowledgement of receipt of request
We will confirm receipt of a request from you within ten (10) days. This confirmation will provide information about how we will process the request, including a description of our verification process and an approximation of when we will send you a substantive response.
We will respond to a verifiable request from you within forty-five (45) days. If we cannot respond in that time, we will notify you in writing that we need an additional forty-five (45) days and explain the reason for the needed additional time. We will deliver the written response by mail or email, at your option.
Any disclosures we provide will cover only the 12-month period preceding our receipt of your verifiable request. If we cannot comply with your request, we will explain why. If you have requested to know specific Personal Information we collected, we will provide that information to you via email.
We do not charge a fee to process or respond to a verifiable consumer request unless it is excessive, repetitive, or manifestly unfounded.
Last updated on: July 27, 2021